shirt to easy toddler dress

This shirt turned into the cutest dress, but it’s big! I figure it’s at least a 4T or 5T. Since this season is almost over, I’m going to wait until next year to have my daughter try it on. It will probably need a dart in the back because she’s so tall and thin. The length might actually be ok. Just in case, I didn’t sew the straps on in the front.

shirt to easy toddler dress

My seam ripper was my BFF for this project. I unpicked the stitches from the neckline and used the bias trim to cover the raw edges under the sleeve.

shirt to easy toddler dress

I also unpicked the stitches from the cuffs and used them as the straps. I cut off the button hole end and sewed it to the back. The other half will be sewed to the front. That way I can use the buttons without having to resew the holes.

shirt to easy toddler dress

refashion: This was really easy. Seriously! The hardest part was not poking a hole in the fabric while ripping seams! The shirt was $1 at a garage sale. The best part? My daughter said, “Mom, that dress is beautiful! Is it for me?”

Tagged with:

12 Responses to wardrobe refashion: shirt to toddler dress

1. amy in ne says:

Fabulous! That is too cute and you got the ultimate compliment from your daughter. Makes me wish I had a girl to sew for.

2. Sarah M says:

ah! That is SO cute, love her enthusiasm. When she’s a bit older she might even enjoy something like this: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28673270&ref=em (reduced price, too)

Sarah M

3. Trudy Callan says:

I love it. You did a fantastic job.

4. Karin says:

That turned out to be a lovely dress. I can imagine your little girl loves it!

5. that’s a sweet green and I love the way you used the button holes! I just can’t get myself used to making buttonholes. I have a button hole presser foot but I still can’t get used to using it.
    very cute!

6. Cioci Ingrid says:

You’re very talented, Julie. I’m amazed how you can see something special out of something ordinary.

7. Sweet Limes says:

Your daughter is right, the dress is beautiful. You did a great job on it. Those buttons are the perfect details for a little girls dress.

8. Nancy says:

Once again–fabulous! I love that you think efficiently, ie, use the cuffs so you don’t have to replicate buttonholes. Genius.

9. Care says:

Oh! I didn’t see the button detail at WR; it’s the perfect touch!! GENIUS use of the cuffs to avoid creating buttonholes!

10. dana says:

love the green color! Turned out very cute.

11. Stephanie says:

I found you through the wardrobe refashion pledge. I mst make a dress like this at some point!!

xo Steph

12. […] blog flashback: Two years ago I refashioned a woman’s shirred shirt into a dress for my daughter. […]