microwave heart crayons

Maybe I should call these Really Lazy Crayon Shapes. I’d been thinking of making them for awhile, but all of the tutorials I found online suggested baking in the oven, melting over a double boiler or melting into cups and pouring into molds. Those were just too many steps for me.

I found a silicone mold at the thrift shop for only a few bucks, so I wasn’t too concerned if I ruined it. I threw all caution to the wind and microwaved the crayons directly in the mold. It was simple, fast and easy to clean up.

microwave heart crayons

Materials
crayon bits
silicone mold
knife
toothpick

Step 1
Put your crayon bits directly in the mold. Break up any bits that are too big with a knife.

Step 2
Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. (I’m sure times will vary based on microwaves. Watch your first batch carefully!) Use a toothpick to stir if your bits aren’t melting evenly.

Step 3
Allow to cool and then pop them out of the mold. I put mine outside because we’re having a frigid winter and it didn’t take long, but you could stick them in the freezer, too.

Clean up: Put some water in the mold, microwave it for about a minute and dump it out. The crayon residue wipes out easily with a paper towel.

*After searching, I found that my mold is actually an ice cube tray and shouldn’t be exposed to heat. It held up just fine, but I wouldn’t use it for ice cubes or food after heating just to be safe.

recycle: This is a great way to use all of those crayon bits that are too small for little hands to hold.

Tagged with:

26 Responses to how to make microwave crayon shapes in 3 easy steps

1. Charity says:

This looks really fun! I’ll have to keep my eyes open for a mold or two like this.

2. Trudy Callan says:

I have got to do this with our crayons. I know the kids would love it.

3. Jessica says:

I’ve just come across your website and I wanted to say how lovely it is! There are some great things here that I can’t wait to have a go at – and these crayons look like a great place to start. Thanks so much!

4. Susan says:

Thanks for this post. I made these with my two boys tonight and they had such fun peeling all the wrappers off of the broken crayons. Right now Target has silicone heart ice cube trays in the dollar spot ($2.50 for 2 trays). I’m looking forward to following your great blog!

5. Amy in ne says:

I finally made these tonight. They are fantastic! I can’t wait to upcycle more crayon bits!

6. Very good idea. Wow I am amazed how you can come up with so many ideas. I always wondered what to do with crayon pieces. My kids would love this.

7. Star says:

My husband discovered last night to slit the crayon papers with an x-acto blade for easy removal. Loved the tutorial! Thanks! Our daughter Ellie enjoyed her new flower shaped crayons from a silicone Wilton mold I got on clearance after last Easter.

8. tracie says:

Thank you for posting the recipe. We went through the crayon box last night and today we’re using little teddy bear silicone molds to create holiday gifts for preschool classmates.

I too like fewer steps – just give me the minimum required for these kind of things!

thay are cooling on the back porch now.

9. maggie says:

just tried this but our crayons didn’t melt? didn’t even get warm? any suggestions?

10. Taleena says:

I think I have that same mold. This is a super cute idea. :3

11. Anna says:

Someone gave my daughter 3-4in Christmas tree ones as a little gift. They are so great since she doesnt have the muscle/coordination to hold regular crayons well.

12. Caca says:

thanks for the easy tutorial and most importantly the advice given on the Ikea mold.

13. […] had to happen sooner or later. I melted my silicone crayon mold. I guess even silicone can’t handle melting and freezing wax over and over. Luckily I was […]

14. Sarah says:

if your crayons aren’t melting, you need a more powerful microwave. you can try heating them for longer at a time – 3 min. or more.

15. Momma Jorje says:

Thank you for a lazy version! I was looking for a baking temp and saw where someone said to melt them in a can first… too much work!

I have some individual silicone molds that I plan to use to make a few different shapes. My daughter’s 2nd birthday is tomorrow, so I’d like to whip these up tonight using her old triangle crayons she doesn’t like to use anymore.

Thanks again! I like lazy!

16. kimberly bork says:

my microwave took 20 mins then freezer for 5 to 10 and wow great halloween molds for a buck each at dollar store and now the classroom will be surprised at my sons second grade halloween party …i also did hand soaps same way

17. Jennifer Renee Landaverde says:

It didn’t work for me :( My microwave seems to not cooperate. The middle spots on the tray boiled while the ends didn’t melt. Then the middle ones melted through. I am bummed because this seemed to be so easy. Also – I see the handsoap option above (Kimberly) – can you tell me how to do that? I would love to do that with my kids. I am trying to find fun things they can make for their friends for Christmas. Thanks!

18. Laura says:

They had the heart shaped ice cube trays at Target in the dollar aisle last week. Just tried and crayons took awhile to melt then the mold began to melt. I am just going to find a stronger cooking container and poor into the mold. My daughter is excited to make heart crayons for Valentines day!

19. Cheryl says:

I had a 5lb coffee can filled with bits and pieces of crayons. Me and a 2-yr old peeled off the paper and cut them up and put them in our mold. We had so much fun making our new crayons in multi colors.

20. […] Crayons (melt old or new crayons down and more into molds for personalized crayons) […]

21. […]  Crayons (melt old or new crayons down and more into molds for personalized crayons) […]

22. […]  Crayons (melt old or new crayons down and more into molds for personalized crayons) […]

23. […] Crayons (melt old or new crayons down and more into molds for personalized crayons) […]

24. Lisa Carney says:

Try melting the crayons in the oven at 225 degrees for 5-10 mins. Then put them in the fridge to cool. It takes 20-30 mins in fridge. I know this takes longer, but it’s easier on the mold.

25. RECYCLE QUEEN says:

This is pretty cool i showed my science club and they all loved it!!!!!!!!!!

26. Jeri says:

We made some today-they came out great!!! Thank you for the idea and directions. My kindergarten rr is giving to her class Thursday for Valentines!!!