color your own chenille stick pipe cleaner

I’m not sure this is really a “how-to” or more of a crafty public service announcement. We recently had a purple pipe cleaner emergency in our house. (Does anyone else have trouble calling them chenille sticks?)

The project was a rainbow with a pot of gold. We had every color of the rainbow except purple. I suggested we go ahead and make the project and fill in the missing color later. Our Artist in Residence balked at that idea. How can you make a rainbow without purple? Details, Mama, details!

So, in an act of desperation, I grabbed a white pipe cleaner and a permanent purple marker. A Sharpie probably would have been best, but all I had was a dry erase marker. It worked remarkably well: I just colored it, waited about a minute and wiped it down with a tissue to make sure it was dry. Crisis averted!

Tagged with:

6 Responses to how to: color your own chenille sticks

1. kate says:

Crisis averted indeed! Made me smile that other artistic projects also need some creative thinking and not just ours!

2. Anna says:

You just simply CANNOT have a rainbow without the purple! (even for moments!) So glad the crisis was averted.

3. Beth Cordell says:

Only a mom can appreciate what a crisis it is to not have purple pipe cleaners! Great save!!

4. Ticia says:

I too refuse to call them chenille stems, they’re PIPE CLEANERS!

5. Ms. Bobbie says:

we color our PIPE CLEANERS all the time here at the library. there is never enough of a certain color to go around for a large group, so i end up buying large quantities of white, and dipping them in diluted paint. works great! love to see i am not the only one!

6. Rebecca says:

I was googling where to buy colored chenille sticks and came across your article…how smart..you saved me money and time…many thanks