I’ve been wanting to make a bag like this for awhile, but just couldn’t figure out the pattern. I fiddled around with a prototype that didn’t work out too well and then abandoned it for a few months. (OK, a year!)

upcycled denim bag

Then my friend Christina asked me to do something with her Fairy Jeans. I did a lot of sketching and research and actually got a lot of inspiration from diy skirt and maternity jean tutorials.

upcycled denim bag

When we went shopping for her wedding gown, she mentioned that she liked the color combination of dark blue and champagne. She also asked me to incorporate one of her finance’s blue silk ties. I used it for the lining of the flap and lined the rest of the bag with tan cotton.

upcycled denim bag

I’m going to make one more of these bags to make sure I’ve got my pattern down and then I’m going to offer it as a custom bag listing in my etsy shop. More pics of the bag in my sewing gallery.

Tagged with:

6 Responses to denim messenger bag for christina

1. mom says:

This looks amazing! It’s one of my favorites so far!
    PS Does Sean know about the tie??

2. Christina says:

WOW! That looks awesome! You gave my favorite old jeans new life. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!

3. Mimi says:

Love the bag. Do you have a tutorial that you can share?
    I have a whole truck load of denim that people have given me. I’d love to make a bag like that. I am planning on making a denim quilt like the one on the all poeple quilt website.

4. Manni says:

Do you have instructions or a tutorial? I have a couple pairs of jeans and i will be forever indebted to you!

5. Julie says:

I’m planning to write up a tutorial, but I need to make one or two more bags before I do. I’ll keep you posted!

6. Ginnybear says:

I would really like to see a tutorial on this. This is one of the most finished bags I have seen. It’s lovely.